Hidden Liver Cottage Pie
Iron deficiency is so common among women, and liver from animals is the BEST FOOD to quickly improve your iron levels. Heavy periods and low iron levels work together in this vicious cycle – heavy periods cause low iron, and low iron causes heavy periods. Heavy periods can also be caused by hypothyroidism, resulting in the body’s inability to absorb iron from the food you’re eating. Low iron can also be caused by gut issues, and you most definitely need a healthy gut to absorb all the iron you’re eating.
Also, the bone broth helps your liver to detoxify and your gut to heal which also helps reduce a heavy flow!
Remember to get your butcher to mix the chicken liver with mince, and you won’t even be able to taste it!!
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 400g combo of beef mince and minced chicken liver (your butcher will do this for you) 2 carrots, diced
- 500g mushrooms, diced
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 1 Tbsp Meadow and Marrow Bone Broth
- 1⁄4 Japanese pumpkin, thinly sliced
- Dried rosemary to sprinkle
- Steamed broccoli florets to serve Baby spinach to serve
- Olive oil to serve
- Salt and pepper
- Red capsicum sauce: 3 red capsicums
- Heat the oven to 180c and on a baking tray place the 3 capsicums. Allow to cook until starting to blister. Then transfer to a bowl and cover the bowl with a plate. Once they are cool enough to touch, peel off the skin and blend together using a blender or stick blander.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic until caramelized. Add the carrot and mince and cook until browned. Then add the mushrooms, zucchinis, bone broth, red capsicum sauce and Spag Bol spice and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place the meat into a baking dish and then cover with slices of Japanese pumpkin. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and lots of rosemary. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve with steamed broccoli and fresh baby spinach drizzled with olive oil.