Once coming back to Oz, I was seriously deprived of my new necessity so I thought I'd have a crack at making it myself...not to mention I actually contacted Springbone to ask for their recipe because I couldn't get their stuff anymore and they happily told me their ingredients. After making one batch where the balance wasn't right, I have perfected the recipe and am excited to share this with you.
- 2 Organic, free range chicken carcasses, raw
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion, cut in half
- 1 bulb of garlic, cut in half
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 celery sticks
- 3-4 tablespoons of dried herbs like oregano and thyme (just load it up! the more spices = the more flavour!)
- any leftover vegetable stalks (e.g. broccoli, fennel, leek)
- 2-3 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 6 or so whole black peppercorns
- 3.5-4L filtered water
- Put the chicken, carrots, onion, garlic and celery in the oven at 220c and roast for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to the slow cooker.
- In the slow cooker, add all the ingredients. Cover the chicken carcasses with filtered water and set on low for 20-24 hours. Add some salt to serve.