The Blog Archives

Which bloat are you?

Which bloat are you?
What is the real reason behind your bloating? It is estrogen, cortisol, a magnesium deficiency or gut problems?
  1. Estrogen bloat
This type of bloating is caused by an excess of estrogen (normally coupled with not enough progesterone). Often women will find that in the second half of their cycle they turn into puff the magic dragon and they can hardly recognize your face. what bloat are you. Estrogen, cortisol, magnesium or gut issues. Estrogen forces the body to retain fluids in the tissue and also programs your fat cells to store more fat. You want to increase your fiber by eating more dark leafy greens that are cooked, flax seeds and psyllium husk to help flush out this estrogen. Also, increase your brassica vegetables (cooked). Raw carrots are also fab at metabolizing estrogen along with glutathione found in bone broth and vitamin C (high levels in camu camu powder). Make sure you also reduce your toxic load from skincare.
  1. Cortisol bloat
Ugghhh the dreaded cortisol. You’ll have a few stress-filled days and overnight you can’t fit into your jeans and queue puff the magic dragon once again. what bloat are you. Estrogen, cortisol, magnesium or gut issues. Cortisol is also an antidiuretic which means that it forces you to retain salt, increasing puffiness. Caffeine can also exacerbate things along with alcohol try and reduce caffeine after a stressful week (which is hard I know), and tryyyyyy to reduce the win, but tbh I kinda feel that alcohol can sometimes reduce my cortisol cause I let my hair down. (As long as you have the right supplements to take before bed that night) Now, the BEST way to flush all the cortisol out of your body issssss.....self-pleasure!! Yep have an orgasm (or two) before heading out for the night and you’ll instantly get rid of the puff-factor. Jumping on a mini trampoline for 5 minutes is another fabulous way to flush out cortisol.
  1. Magnesium deficiency swelling bloat
Magnesium is so important for our body. In fact, it is involved in over 300 biochemical processes in the body and it is depleted when you are stressed, making your body more stressed and depleting cortisol even further. A reduction in magnesium can show up as bloating, puffiness, leg cramps, twitches in your lip or eye and headaches. Try eating magnesium-rich foods like sunflower seeds, low mercury fish, leafy greens and dark chocolate. Also, try taking a magnesium glycinate supplement.
  1. Low belly, microbiome bloat
And lastly, the low belly microbiome bloat. This is caused by gut issues and can show up as skin issues, eczema, leaky gut, brain fog and food allergies that pop up. It is often Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) and you need to cut out all inflammatory foods (sugar, grains, gluten, dairy, vegetable oil) and then slowly bring them back in (on special occasions). Apple cider vinegar is also fantastic for helping clear our the bad bugs and reducing bloating. Along with increasing your phytonutrients found in cacao, the skin of organic veggies and fruit and herbs and spices. Increasing your consumption of bone broth, collagen and gelatine will also help for the majority of people (unless you have a bad histamine intolerance). It is totally possible to have multiple of these types of bloat at once and whilst it can seem like an overwhelming and difficult task to get it all under wraps, it’s totally worth it once you’re there! I’ve had clients that have felt better after just one session! I’m talking increased energy, confidence and libido just by getting rid of the nasty bloat! Once you know how to hack your bloat, you’ll be feeling sexy AF 99% of the time (the other 1% is being human). If you want more information about health, food and all that jazz, check out my 8-week program (you’ll be sure to lose the bloat) or my Fertility Foods eBook (they are all anti-bloat recipes). If you’d like 1:1 support please think about contacting me for life coaching or period coaching! I am ICF certified, and LOVE coaching women about everything from health, to energy work and letting go of the things that are stopping you!